Monday, September 12, 2016

Cloud 9 Berry Harvest Blog Hop

Welcome to my stop on the Cloud 9 Berry Harvest Blog Hop.  I am so thrilled to be included!

When I received the beautiful "Berry Harvest" bundle, generously donated by Cloud 9 from their Organic Cirrus Solids collection, I fell in love with the depth of color.  I immediately knew that I wanted to create a block that showed off that depth.  In keeping with the theme of "Berry Harvest", I began thinking of our wild blackberries growing along the paths on our property, which began the process of creating a "pathway block".

Just gorgeous!



Berry Patch Path

General instructions:

Do not wash fabric first
Starch and iron before cutting

After drooling over the lovely fabric, I had to painfully begin cutting:

From Shadow, cut four 4.5" squares
From Iris, cut four 4.5" squares
From Amazon, cut two 4" squares
From Lilac, cut one 4 1/2" square

Directions:


Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of each Amazon square.




With right sides facing, layer an Amazon square to the top left corner of the Lilac square.  (Note the placement of the drawn line in picture below.)




Stitch on the drawn line and trim 1/4" away from the seam.





Repeat on the bottom right of the Amazon/Lilac block. (Note direction of drawn line below.)




Stitch on the drawn line.



Trim 1/4" away from the seam.


Ta Da!  Here's your pathway through the berry patch.



Complete the Berry Patch Path Block:

With RST sew Shadow square to Iris square, then sew another Shadow square for the first row.

With RST, sew Iris square to Pathway Block square, then sew another Iris square for the second row.

With RST, sew Shadow square to Iris square, then sew another Shadow square for the third row.

Sew the three rows together and you're done!




I love, love, love this block; and I have to admit, it was difficult for me to mail it off!  I had it displayed in my studio for as long as possible before sending it to Cheryl of Meadow Mist Designs to incorporate into one of the charity quilts.

A big thank you to our hosts for pulling the hop together and another big thank you to Cloud 9 fabrics for donating five fat quarters from their Organic Cirrus Solids collection to each participant!  Please be sure to check out the other blogger posts for all of their creative blocks.

Monday, September 12th

Host – Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl

Tuesday, September 13th

Host – Cheryl @Meadow Mist Designs

Wednesday, September 14th

Host – Stephanie @Late Night Quilter


30 comments:

  1. I'm sort of tempted to load this up into illustrator and start playing with the colors. I suspect it would make some really neat secondary patterns..

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Wonderful job, and I love your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting take on the classic 9 patch...looks fun to play with in a whole quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial, and I love the tongue twister of a name, clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun block and great tutorial. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great block! I can see why it was difficult to part with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your spin on classic blocks: a 9 patch and plus block. The path is fantastic and I'm so glad you joined the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I am visiting for the first time on the Blog Hop. What a great block - simple but so effective - the pink really zings in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the simplicity of your block... and clever name. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that your pathway block was inspired by the wild blackberries growing along your property. I'd be reluctant to part with it also. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Visiting for the first time and I love how simple but interesting your block is 👏

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have a hard time sending it off too- what a pretty block! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! It's a fun variation on a traditional block :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's wonderful when something in our lives inspires us to design a quilt. Really nice job on your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to meet you.Gorgeous block.

    ReplyDelete
  16. such a lovely block. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that strip of Lilac going through the Amazon! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! I think this would look cool with a bunch of blocks together to have the movement of that diagonal slash moving across the quilt. Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jinger: I really love this block. That pink diagonal line is just the right touch to liven up the classic nine patch.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Isn't it great when you are pleased with the results of your efforts? What fun. I like the method you used to make the diagonal - that is a great way to do it. I'm going to mark this post so I can use it sometime! I definitely would not have thought to do it like that, but that makes it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the colors and your block is so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic! A lovely addition to the 9-patch!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now that pathway method is a unique concept! Very clever!! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just adore the strip of lilac going through the central square - super pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great take on a classic block. This would be fun to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great block. I loved how you displayed it on the stand...very creative way. I'm slowly making my way thru everyone's blocks. I have a new appreciation for pattern designers now after designing my block for this hop. Thanks for sharing your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful twist on a classic block, the stripe in the middle adds such great interest to the block design.

    ReplyDelete